Resources for Nursing Professionals
The nursing profession is one of the oldest and most respected fields in the medical field. Nurses have been around for decades to aid the sick and infirmed, in the home, hospitals and in the field. The origin of nursing dates back to famous nurses such as Florence Nightingale and Clara Barton, who both tended to soldiers during wartime.
People looking to pursue a career in nursing need to go to a nursing school which will provide them with theoretical and practical training. Attending nursing school requires students to split time between classroom instruction and hospital work in order to teach students how to become a nurse. Once in school, nurses have a wide range of the type of nursing to go into. And of course, even when they have completed their initial study, it is important for nurses to receive continuing education in order to remain up to date on the latest in the nursing field.
To learn more about the nursing profession, we have assembled a helpful collection of links in the nursing industry:
History of Nursing
- History of the Nurse - useful look at the nursing profession and in particular the job of nurse.
- Nursing History - overview of the world history of nursing through the years.
- History of Nursing - informative resource guide discussing the history of the nursing profession.
- History of Nursing Archives - informative historical perspective of the nursing industry through pictures and words.
- Museum of Nursing History - useful resource providing a location where the history of nursing is chronicled.
Famous Nurses in History
- Florence Nightingale - biography of one of the most famous nurses in history.
- Clara Barton - informative look at the life of one of the American nursing pioneers.
- Mary Seacole - information on the life of the African-American nursing professional and her work in the Crimean War.
- Mary Breckinridge - history of one of the nursing legends of the early years in America.
- Margaret Sanger - biographical look at one of the forerunners in nursing with a specialty in women's health.
- Dorothea Dix - nursing pioneer covering her work with prisoners and the mentally ill.
General Nursing Resources
- Essential Nursing Resources - helpful & healthy resources around the nursing profession and nurses in particular.
- Nursing Resources - resourceful site providing information on a number of topics in nursing, with custom filters.
- Nursing Research Guide - information on several topics surrounding the nursing world.
- Nursing Information and Resources - useful overview of the career of nursing including salary and education requirements.
- Nursing Databases - informative resource providing numerous topics on the world of nurses and nursing.
Nursing Regulations and Requirements
- History of Nursing Regulations - helpful article outlining the changes in nursing regulations over the course of history.
- National Council on State Boards of Nursing - collection of resources for nursing regulations throughout the United States.
- Requirements to be a Nurse - information on what is needed to become a nurse.
- Nursing Requirements - listing of typical requirements that are needed in the nursing profession.
- Nursing Career Overview - overview on the requirements needed to attain an education as a Registered Nurse.
Types of Nurses and Nursing
- Registered Nurses - statistical look at career opportunities, responsibilities and salary information for Registered Nurses.
- Pediatric Nurses - helpful information on career opportunities in pediatrics for nurses.
- Types of Nursing Programs - look at the educational programs that are available for different types of nursing.
- Careers in Nursing - information on attaining a career in nursing and educational requirements.
Nursing Organizations and Publications
- Nursing Associations and Organizations - listing of national and international nursing organizations.
- American Academy of Nursing - organization that is dedicated to advancing nurses in the United States.
- Nursing Organizations - associations and organizations that are geared towards nurses are listed on this site.
- Nursing Journal Articles - collection of nursing journal articles cover a variety of topics are covered here.
- Journal of Professional Nursing - website providing support and information on a number of topics of interest to professional nurses.
- Nursing Journals - useful collection of nursing resources and journal articles in the field of nursing.
We hope you enjoyed looking at some of the topics covered on this page. We also hope that it has provided you with a better understanding of the nursing field.
Find Your Healthcare Degree Fast