A Medical Guide to the Circulatory Sytem - For Kids!
Your body has many systems that let if function through the day. Each is very important and the circulatory system is certainly no exception. The circulatory system is also sometimes called the cardiovascular system and it has three parts: blood, blood vessels and the heart.
Its purpose is to deliver oxygen from lungs to the cells in the body. Without oxygen, these cells would die and so would we. The central hub of the circulatory system is the heart, a fist-sized organ filled with four chambers and a number of valves. The heart functions through involuntary muscular activity – which means you can’t stop it from beating like you can stop your hand from writing or your feet from running. The heart pumps the blood through the blood vessels. During its travels, the red blood cells absorb oxygen and carry it through arteries. The reason arteries appear red is because they are full of oxidized blood, which is red.
After the blood cells bring the oxygen and give it to the other cells, the deoxidized blood cells return to the heart through veins. Veins appear a bluish green color because deoxidized blood is blue. The reason you never see blue blood, even if you cut a vein is because as soon as the blood leaves your body, it mixes with the oxygen in the air and turns red again. Also in the blood are antibodies that fight infections. Without the blood flowing to different parts of the body, the antibodies would never get where they need to go to fix your injuries.
There is a lot more to learn about the circulatory system, so why not check out these other neat sites!
Overview of the Circulatory System
- The Cardiovascular System – how your blood gets oxygen
- A very brief overview of the circulatory system
- Some amazing facts about the circulatory system that you might not know
- Circulatory Webquest – Watch a movie and answer some questions
- Learn about the parts of the circulatory system and see the names of all the heart’s parts
- Introduction to the Circulatory System – learn about the heart, blood, veins and arteries
- The Circulation Game – a whole chapter’s material on the circulatory system (PDF)
- Microbe Magic – explore your heart and blood
- All about the heart and circulatory system from KidsHealth
- Heart, Blood and what they’re needed for
- See how blood flows through the heart
- Your Heart – what does it look like and what does it do?
- Map of the Heart, and it’s interactive!
- See the circulatory and the other major organ systems
- See how blood flows not just through the heart but the whole circulatory system
- Anatomy of the Human Heart
Lesson Plans/Teacher Resources
- The Circulatory System Episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy
- A series of activities to do with your class that incorporate math, English and technology
- A lab designed to teach students what blood is and how it works
- A two part lab that studies just how important blood is to the body
- Teach students how a heart is like a pump with this project that requires balloons, straws & a jar
- Heart Beats – a lab to do with your class that requires clay, toothpicks and a stethoscope (PDF)
- A circulatory system lesson plan that incorporates the classroom smart board
- Sample classroom lessons and activities for instructors teaching about the circulatory system
- ToxRAP – a challenging game in which you sail the circulatory system
- Circulatory System Matching Activity
- A number of quiz games including topics like blood and the heart. Multiplayer compatible!
- Make Sure the Accident Victims get the right replacement of blood
- Label the Heart Diagram, Then Fill in the Blanks
- Correctly Match the Terms with the Parts of the Human Heart
- Flashcards with Circulatory System Terms
- Heart.org Elementary Lesson Plans
- Label the circulatory system – a printable worksheet
- Heart House – a printable activity sheet
- Cardiovascular system quiz from KidsHealth with cool sounds and animations
- A number of circulatory system quiz games covering different grade and skill levels
- Label the parts of the heart – a printable worksheet
- Multiple choice questions about the circulatory system from VT Aide
- Test Bite – Multiple choice questions about the circulatory system from BBC
- Answer 40 fill-in-the-blank questions with cardiovascular terms (PDF)
Find Your Healthcare Degree Fast