How to Find High-Quality Distance Nursing Education
Popular Online Nurse Schools
Purdue University Global - Certificates, Associate's, Bachelor's, & Master's Programs. Building on Purdue's mission to provide access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults, which helps nurses unlock new career opportunities while working around their job schedules.
Walden University - Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral Degrees. Specializing in post-graduate learning, Walden offers a variety of Master's level education programs.
Grand Canyon University - Bachelor's, Master's Degrees. Grand Canyon is known as being one of the most popular Christian-based colleges. In addition to offering campus based educational opportunities they also offer an array of online education opportunities.
Online BSN and MSN Degrees
Distance learning has become a critical component in higher education. Online degree programs were once exclusive to distance learning institutions, but even traditional colleges and universities now offer some courses online. Are nursing programs available online and how do they stack up against traditional nursing programs?
Online Programs Benefit Working Nurses or Students with Families
Many professional nurses seek continuing education and advanced degrees. For this population of would be student, distance learning poses a huge appeal. Working nurses can study at their own pace while careers and families go relatively uninterrupted. Candidates may earn BSN, MSN, and advanced specialty degrees. Not all aspects of a nursing curriculum can be completed online, though. In programs where a clinical component is required online programs may partner with regional hospitals and teaching programs that give remote students access to the clinical venues they need.
Danger Lurks in Some Online Nursing Programs
The Internet has made scams much more prevalent and the business of fake online college degrees is a multi-million dollar business. Many would be students eager for quick and easy degrees are regularly duped into buying worthless and bogus college degrees in all majors, including nursing.
How to Find a Quality Online Nursing Program: Tips for Internet Searching
There are a few foolproof methods to ensure you don’t get victimized online. Follow these tips when shopping for online nursing programs:
- Your state board of nursing maintains a list of state approved nursing programs. Crosscheck institutions in which you are interested with this list.
- Make sure online nursing programs you’re considering are accredited by one of the two Department of Education recognized nursing accreditors: the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Accreditation by any other agency does not count.
- Don’t overlook traditional nursing programs, some curriculum may be available online.
Accreditation by the Department of Education recognized nursing program accreditors may not only ensure your freedom from online scams, but it may also make you eligible for student loans, tuition reimbursement programs, and many types of scholarships and grants.
Popular Online Programs
To get you started, here are a couple of officially accredited online nursing schools:
- Drexel University’s online nursing programs are accredited by the NLNAC. A wide range of certificate, Bachelor’s and Masters degrees in Nursing are available via an online format.
- The University of Phoenix is a pioneer in the field of online degree programs. The Health Care program lists a few Bachelors’ in Nursing programs and an even wider variety of Masters in Nursing specialties. UoP nursing programs are accredited by the CCNE.
Get Your Free Information on Nursing & Healthcare Programs
Find Your Healthcare Degree Fast